The Talking Lion

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Joementum...

"It's time for Democrats who distrust President Bush to acknowledge he'll be commander-in-chief for three more years," the senator said. "We undermine the president's credibility at our nation's peril."
Joe Leiberman (via The Heretik)

Just a quick comment on this type of attack against news outlets and others people reporting and drawing attention to the facts of the war and/or criticizing those in charge.

If something is poorly run and is causing death and chaos without a foreseeable solution, my acknowledgement of this does not make the death and chaos my fault. Reporting on Iraq can hardly ever be positive due to the nature of the facts, and the American people who financed this war and take part in the selection process of our government deserve to know what is going on.

If I do not bring attention to important events just because they reflect poorly on my nation, that does more disservice to said nation than the "loss of credibility".

Thus, bad news is not the fault of the press. Any credibility being lost by the president is his own damn fault for being an incompetent lying shitbag. Not reporting it, not yelling about it after its reported allows it to continue unchecked which our country simply cannot afford.

If I had any confidence that the Bush Administration could turn it around and succeed in Iraq; if I had any delusions that the considerable efforts of those who serve in Iraq could overcome the incompetence of those who lead them; if there was anyway to change leadership in the executive branch tomorrow and a get new start at fixing Iraq, I would whole-heartedly support our continued occupation of Iraq.

We broke it, after all. It should be our responsibility to remake Iraq. But right now all we are doing is fucking it up worse than it was before we arrived (quite the statement considering who was in charge of Iraq before we arrive, but a statement echoed even by the new Iraqi leadership). And because there is no hope of not fucking everything up, the continued loss of American lives and billions upon billions of dollars becomes an exercise in futility.

And I hate the president and his band of assholes for making me make this choice. I want Iraq to be a nation remade to foster freedom and shine as an example of a successful democracy in a region of the world where that just doesn't exist. But there is no way, short of some deus ex machina-esque miracle, that this kind of result is possible given who is in charge.

This will be a sad chapter in American history and may be the first chapter of the end of our global dominance. I hope 2006 can win the D's a legislative body so there can be an official investigation into all the ways everything that the Bush Whitehouse has done has been wrong. I hope that 2008 will feature a D nominee with at least a decent campaign staff so we won't have to suffer 4 more years.


Lots of posting today. It's because I have other things that I don't want to do.

4 Comments:

  • 'This will be a sad chapter in American history, and may well be the first chapter of the end of our global dominance' - Arun

    That's the problem. No single nation should have 'global dominance', and to even suggest that this may be desirable is abhorrent.
    Absolutely NO-ONE on Earth wants their nation to be under the control of a stronger one (apart from a few traitorous Quislings who stand to profit from it in some way). Hence, the situation in Iraq today.
    When will you Americans ever learn? The world does not need, or even want, your misguided advice on how to successfully run a country. Leave us alone!

    Signed: A resident of a member of the Coalition of the Bribed and Coerced (Australia).

    By Anonymous Pro-Choice, at Wednesday, 28 December, 2005  

  • Sure, you are right that no one wants to be under the control of a stronger nation. But that doesn't change the fact that today's global politics are such that America is that stronger nation. I wasn't adding a value judgement, I was just predicting a shift in the world situation.

    So, as much as your comment is generally polite, i resent being lumped in with "you americans". I mean, why shouldn't I call you "you racist white Ausi who was probably involved in the race riots"? I mean, I'm not white, and you (the ausi) insulted me, so you must be racist, right? And so on...

    By Blogger Arun, at Friday, 30 December, 2005  

  • I think my last entry didn't go through, something went wrong. Anyway, I'm not a 'racist white Ausi' and I don't know about any race riots, that's news to me. I can't remember the last time we had riots of any kind.
    I should have said 'Republicans' or 'neo-cons' or something similar, because I know that most Americans are shocked at the antics of Cowboy Bush and his merry band of gunslingers. We down here have a government that is just as reckless and incompetent, so we can sympathise. Sorry :( for lumping you all together with that horrible minority that is leading your nation to destruction. After all, it's not like he was voted into office.

    See ya :)

    By Anonymous Pro-Choice, at Saturday, 31 December, 2005  

  • Apology accepted, and I, of course, was only joking about you.

    Happy New Year.

    By Blogger Arun, at Saturday, 31 December, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home